No matter what time of the year, we love to make fun and fruity jams.
Whether to douse your breakfast or gift to a friend this holiday season, we know you’ll find plenty of uses for this mouth-watering jam recipe.
This star fruit jam is a fun and creative way to enjoy your daily fruit servings.
If you don’t have access to starfruit, you can substitute pineapple.
What Is Star Fruit?
Starfruit, also known as carambola, is a sweet and sour exotic fruit in a star shape. It’s not only tasty but its health benefits make it one of the best tropical fruits on the market.
Why We Love Starfruit
- Starfruit is super low in calories. 100g provides just 31 calories and packs a powerful nutritional punch.
- It contains a dietary fiber that helps to protect the mucous membrane of the colon from exposure to toxic substances.
- Starfruit has a high Vitamin C content, which is an awesome, natural antioxidant and a high Vitamin B content which is needed for essential key functions within the body relating to stress management and metabolism.
- Starfruit contain key minerals and electrolytes like Potassium, Zinc and Iron which are important for healthy cell regeneration and stabilizing heart rate and blood pressure and counteracting negative affects of too much sodium.
- Star Fruit is known to help combat hangovers.
- It can help prevent during sickness or pregnancy. Eat a slice of the fruit every 3 hours.
And that’s just the start! To learn more about the delicious and healthy reasons to love Star Fruit, check out this article.
Original Star fruit Jam Recipe from Blue Osa
Star Fruit Jam is one of our favorite recipes to make here at Blue Osa. Today we’re sharing our recipe with you! If no star fruit, pineapple can be used.
- 8 1/2 cups fresh start fruit (if you do not have star fruit, you may substitute with pineapple)
- 3 cups sugar (if you are using pineapple, use less sugar)
- 1 ounce vanilla
- 1/2 tsp cardamon
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon (you can add more if you like cinnamon)
- Rind of one lemon or 1 Tablespoon of grated ginger (optional)
- Thoroughly wash fruit
- Cut the fruit:
1. Cut off the ends.
2. Cut the peaks of each ridge on the fruit.
3. Slice around the core.
4. Cut off any remaining core. Last, slice into long pieces.
- Put all the fruit into the pot. Have the heat at medium high. Stir the fruit until it begins to have a mushy texture.
- Add vanilla
- Add cardamon
- Add cinnamon
- Continue stirring until you get a nice simmer going on.
- Add the sugar
- Turn the heat up and bring to a boil. CONTINUE TO STIR. If you stop stop stirring, you may burn the jam.
- Keep the boil for about 5 – 10 minutes. (you will need to turn the heat down a bit.)
- Now turn the heat off, cover the jam, and leave it over night on the stove.
- The next day, bring the jam to a boil.
- After the jam is brough to a boil, lower the temperature and simmer one hour (or until liquid is evaporated), stirring occasionally.
Buen Provecho from Blue Osa Yoga Retreat + Spa!
Looking for more delicious Star Fruit Recipes?
Because we have three star fruit trees on the Blue Osa Retreat property, we are always coming up with fresh and innovative recipes to use Mother Nature’s bountiful gifts.
Here are a few of our favorite Star Fruit Recipes:
Like this pose? Pin it for later!
Gluten-Free Recipes From The Blue Osa Kitchen
We know going gluten-free can be tough. That's why we've put together these delicious gluten-free recipes for you straight from the Blue Osa Kitchen! You may find you like them even better than the gluten versions.