Have you tried Gallo Pinto? If not, then you’re missing out!
Gallo Pinto is the national dish of Costa Rica, consisting of beans and rice. Sometimes it is topped with scrambled eggs and Salsa Lizano, the latter which is a favorite condiment of Ticos (locals). Gallo Pinto is simple and nourishing, as well as Gluten Free and Vegan.
Most locals eat Gallo Pinto for breakfast, but it is delicious all day long. This easy recipe can be used as a main course or a side dish. ¡Pura Vida! (Pure Life!)
Traditional Costa Rican Gallo Pinto Recipe
Ingredients of Gallo Pinto:
2 cups of cooked white short grain rice
1 cups of cooked red beans
1/2 cups of Salsa Lizano
1/3 a red pepper
1/3 an onion
1/2 tablespoon of finely chopped garlic
1/3 cup of chopped cilantro
Preparation of Gallo Pinto:
- Saute the onions, pepper, garlic in a large pan
- Add the cooked beans and the Salsa Lizano
- Simmer over medium heat, stirring occasionally for 5 minutes
- Stir in the cooked rice
- Simmer on very low heat for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally until all excess liquid is absorbed
- Fold in the fresh cut cilantro
- Serve warm
Buen Provecho from Blue Osa Yoga Retreat + Spa!
Want to taste some of the best Gallo Pinto in Costa Rica? Our staff serves up an amazing variation of Gallo Pinto here at Blue Osa Yoga Retreat + Spa. We invite you to come taste it for yourself!
Like this post? Pin it for later!