Originating in Central America, the papaya tree of the “tree of life” has made its mark around the world. Not only as a tasty and juicy addition to meals and smoothies but for many other uses as well. All parts of the papaya fruit have been utilized from its bark and root to the flower and fruit.
It contains a powerful enzyme and has been used for a wide range of medicinal purposes including “antiseptic, antimicrobial, antiparasitic, anti-inflammatory, antihypertensive, diuretic, anti-hyperlipidemic, anti-diabetic, and contraceptive activity,” (drugs.com, 2009).
Benefits Of Papaya:
Papaya has been used mostly in folk medicine for ailments in the skin but has also been said to help with:
- Cancer and tumors, though there is not substantial research
- Been deemed one of the most nutritious fruits by the Center for Science.
- It’s great for the skin and anti-aging
- Helps prevent heart attacks
- Helps digestion, intentional problems, treating worms, and other problems
- Helps with negative pregnancy symptoms
- Boosts immunity
- And more
Basically, papaya is a super hero of the fruit world and should be worshipped as a healing food.
Tips to include papaya in your diet:
- Make salsa with diced papaya, cilantro, jalapeno and put on fish tacos.
- Throw some fresh lime on top and call it good, eat as is.
- Blend with basically any fruit, yogurt, and ice for delicious and healthy smoothies.
- Make shampoos, face cleansers, and face masks with it