Thinking about ditching dairy but not sure what where to start?
Rice milk is an easy and affordable alternative to lactose milk along with almond milk, the creamier cashew milk, and hemp milk.
Sure, you could buy it from the store, but we all know home made milks don’t compare to the over-the-counter alternatives!
Here in Costa Rica, where our diets rely heavily on rice, we like to make our own rice milk.
In fact, rice milk overall has proven to be even healthier than some of the other milks.
Check out this list below to find out the incredible benefits of rice milk. You will be pleasantly surprised!
Did You know?
- Rice milk is the third most popular nondairy alternative next to soy milk and almond milk. Drinking rice milk supplies you with many essential nutrients via the bran and germ of this whole grain
- Rice milk is the most hypoallergenic of all milk products. People with lactose intolerance or casein allergy cannot have dairy, and those with soy or nuts allergies cannot drink soy or almond milk. Rice milk contains a generous supply of balanced nutrition for those who are not able to tolerate other milk alternatives.
- Rice milk has the least amount of fat compared to all other alternatives. There is only 1 grams of fat per cup of rice milk and all of the fat is unsaturated. Rice milk is also cholesterol free, and therefore it works well for people with dietary restrictions on fat and cholesterol.
- Rice milk is an excellent source of magnesium, which helps control your blood pressure. Iron and copper increases your red blood cell production, giving you better oxygenation and vitality.
- Rice milk contains more manganese and selenium than any other alternatives. These are powerful antioxidants that help protect you from all kinds of infections and cancers. Drinking rice milk can also give your immune system a boost.
Don’t hesitate to try this at home! And, if you’re looking for the perfect pairing, our granola here at Blue Osa is phenomenal! Check out the granola recipe here!
How to Make Rice Milk
From the Kitchen Of Blue Osa
Sugar free, gulten free, fat free
- 1 cup uncooked organic long grain brown rice
- 8 cups filtered water for cooking
- 1 tsp salt
- Optional: flavoring such as vanilla or stevia
- Wash the rice
- Pour the water and rice into a pot and bring to a boil
- Cover the pot and simmer for 3 hours
- Blend for 2-4 minutes, until very smooth
- Strain through a fine mesh strainer, add optional flavoring, and pour into a jar for storing
*It might separate in the jar. If this happens, simply use a spoon to stir it up again.
Want to visit Blue Osa to experience this healthy breakfast?
If you’re looking for other recipes to put your fresh batch of rice milk to good use, look no more!