While traveling to Rudra Prayag, deep within the Himalayan Mountains there is a special dish that food lovers should seek out. The combination of cauliflower and potato, along with the fragrant spices, makes this dish a bevy of bursting flavors — cumin seeds, ginger and turmeric notes amplify the plainer tastes of both vegetables, each an everyday staple in India. With all its complexities and simplicity, preparing and serving this dish is just as delightful as eating it.
Indian Cauliflower Potato Delight
From the Kitchens of the Himalayan Mountains
Gluten Free, Vegetarian, Vegan, Tasty
1 cup roughly chopped potatoes
1 1/2 cups cauliflower florets
1 1/2 tbsp oil
1 tsp cumin seeds
1/4 tsp asafoetida
2 whole dry kashmiri red chillies , broken into pieces
1 tsp finely chopped ginger
1 tsp finely chopped garlic
1 tsp finely chopped green chillies
salt to taste
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp chilli powder
1/2 tsp garam masala (A mixture of Indian Masala)
For The Garnish
a sprig of coriander
1. Heat the oil in a deep non-stick kadhai (pan), and add the cumin seed and asafoetida.
2. When the seeds crackle, add the dry red chillies, ginger, garlic and green chillies and sauté on a medium flame or a few seconds.
3. Add the potatoes, mix well and cover and cook on a medium flame for 3 to 4 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
4. Add the cauliflower, salt and 1 tbsp of water, mix well and cover and cook on a medium flame for 5 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
5. Add the turmeric powder, chilli powder, garam masala and dried mango powder, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 1 to 2 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
6. Garnish with a sprig of coriander.