Planning a dinner party? many of us are always thinking of yummy meals and treats to serve our friends and family.
Although with social gatherings sometimes comes the difficulty of accommodating all of the different diets and allergies that seem to be surfacing in our society, including the rise in gluten-intolerant individuals.
Fear not because Blue Osa has you covered with a yummy gluten-free carrot cake that has been approved by many of our wonderful guests and volunteers!
If you still aren’t hip to the lingo on what gluten-free actually entails, let us put your mind at ease that the flavor of this cake will still have your friends and family begging for seconds.
Gluten-free refers to foods that exclude gluten, a protein composite found in wheat and related grains such as barley and rye. People who suffer from celiac disease or have wheat allergies are especially sensitive to gluten and often, their only choice of treatment is to overhaul their diets. The list of food they can’t eat is probably longer than the ones they can, as a lot of foods are processed in facilities that also process gluten-filled foods. Our yummy gluten-free carrot cake will be a crowd-pleaser, though and ensure that all your guests leave full and happy after any summer social gathering!
Check out the easy recipe below to start enjoying this sweet treat!
Gluten-Free Carrot Cake
From The Kitchen Of Blue Osa
Gluten-free + Dairy-Free
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups light olive oil OR your favorite vegetable oil
- 2 cups all-purpose gluten-free flour mix (see notes)
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons gluten-free baking powder
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup chopped nuts
- 3 cups freshly grated carrots
- Preheat oven to 350° F / 176° C
There are a few different options for pans when it comes to making this delectable dessert. Here at Blue Osa, our head chef Jose chose the 9×13 pan, which serves around 20 people when cutting the final product into 2×2 inch squares.
Other options if your group is smaller or you want to make multiple cakes:
– two round 9-inch cake pans.
(If using this option, lightly grease and place a circle of parchment in the bottom of the pan for easy removal.)
– 36 muffin cups Use paper lining cups if making cupcakes.
RECIPE for Gluten Free Carrot Cake
- Combine sugar and eggs in a large mixing bowl with an electric beater or stand mixer.
- Add oil and vanilla and beat just until smooth.
- In a separate bowl, combine gluten-free flour mix, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
- Whisk to combine. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and beat until blended.
- Stir in grated carrots and nuts. Pour the batter into prepared pans.
- Bake in preheated oven for 45-55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the middle of the cake comes out clean.
- For muffins, reduce baking time to 30-35 minutes or until they pass the toothpick test.
- Cool on a wire rack.
With this cake as your closer, you can be confident that all your guests will not only have a smashing time at your get-together but will also be raving about your crowd-pleasing dessert!
Come back next month to see what new tasty treat the Blue Osa kitchen staff has to offer!
Can’t wait until then? Satisfy your sweet tooth by checking out past month’s recipes:
Notes about this gluten-free carrot cake:
Bob’s Red Mill Gluten-Free Pizza Crust Mix is a good option for this recipe as it contains xanthan gum, eliminating the need to add more gum to this recipe. Use your favorite gluten-free flour mix in this recipe and add 1 teaspoon xanthan or guar gum to the recipe IF the mix you are using does not contain one of these baking gums.
Always make sure your work surfaces, utensils, pans and tools are free of gluten. Always read product labels. Manufacturers can change product formulations without notice. When in doubt, do not buy or use a product before contacting the manufacturer for verification that the product is free of gluten.