Soup in Costa Rica is truly part of ever day life, no matter how warm or cool it is outside. Nevertheless, having soup is a great habit to stay hydrated through the day, even when it is hot.
One of the ways that Costa Ricans eat soup is combined with rice, either together in a bowl or carefully combining each spoonful of rice and soup in a bite.
But admittedly there are some days when it’s just too hot to even think about hot soup.
That’s why we created this cooling avocado and coconut soup recipe.
Both ingredients are very simple and readily available and the soup takes about five minutes to make!
Once you whip it up you can cool it a bit more in the fridge for a truly refreshing experience or just have it room temperature.
Coconut is one of the best superfoods with lots of healing properties:
- Coconut is anti-septic, anti-inflammatory, anti-virus, anti-bacteria.
- Due to its high concentration of electrolytes it hydrates and nourishes the skin.
- Coconut is known to improve digestion and lower cholesterol.
- Coconuts are known to increase metabolism and help with weight-loss.
Check this helpful link on they many wonderful uses of coconut.
Avocado is a rather unique type of fruit.
- Most fruit consists primarily of carbohydrate, while avocado is high in healthy fats.
- Avocados are very high in potassium, which should support healthy blood pressure levels, and potassium is an important mineral that most people don’t get enough of.
- Avocados and avocado oil are high in monounsaturated oleic acid, a “heart healthy” fatty acid that is believed to be one of the main reasons for the health benefits of olive oil.
- Avocados tend to be high in fiber, about 7% by weight, which is very high compared to most other foods. Fiber can have various important benefits for weight loss and metabolic health.
Refreshing Coconut Avocado Soup
From the Kitchen of Blue Osa
Gluten-free, sugar-free, fat-free, vegan, raw vegan
- 1 avocado
- 1 cup’s worth of coconut milk
- 3 basil or mint leaves
- 1/2 cup of water
- salt and pepper to taste
- Pour coconut water and fresh water into a blender.
- Add pineapple, cucumber, cilantro and basil and blend it all until smooth.
- Add salt and turmeric to taste and blend for another second.
- Pour into a bowl.
- Decorate with mint or hierbabuena on top.
Visit Blue Osa to widen your soup-tasting array!
Feeling in the mood for more raw eating? Check out these avocado and coconut recipes to keep you refreshed through summer days!
About the author
Alexandra Kovacova is a crazy Slovak girl who made traveling the reason of her life. Alex first quit modeling to get 2 MA degrees at the University instead and then she also quit her stewardess job to pursue her biggest dream of traveling around the world.
After living in 6 different countries (Slovakia, Czech republic, Spain, Scotland, Italy and Mexico) Alex has been permanently on the road taking photos, videos and professionally blogging since March 2011. Thanks to the main blog Crazy Sexy Fun Traveler she has visited more than 45 countries and it’s on a mission of visiting every single country in the world.
Switching to mostly raw vegan diet and getting more into yoga, Alex also started with another blog Fit when Traveling to inspire others to stay healthy and in shape when on the road.
Connect with The Crazy Sexy Fun Traveler: