In celebration of our retreat to Spain with Yogi Aaron, our highly acclaimed Blue Osa Kitchen decided to remix the traditional Spanish Paella recipe and give it a bit of Blue Osa farm-to-table flair. Our guests and the Blue Osa family loved the delicious dish and may or may not have had seconds (and thirds)!
How to Make Chorizo & Chicken Spanish Paella:
Here is our detailed recipe guide on making chorizo and chicken Spanish paella with a twist of coconut, straight from the kitchen of Blue Osa.
Timing: 15 mins for preparation; 30 mins to cook
Chorizo and Chicken Spanish Paella Ingredients:
900ml (1 1/2pt) leche de coco (A key Blue Osa ingredient)
Pinch of curry
3 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
200g (7oz) cooking chorizo, sliced
1 large onion, finely chopped
3 cloves garlic, crushed
1 x 227g tin chopped tomatoes
1 tsp paprika
250g (8oz) basmati rice
1 x 285g jar roasted peppers, drained and rinsed (From the garden of Blue Osa)
125g (4oz) baby spinach leaves (From the garden of Blue Osa)
1 lemon, cut into wedges
- Bring coconut milk to a boil. Add a teaspoon of curry and set aside.
- Heat 3 tbsp of extra-virgin olive oil in a wide frying pan over medium heat.
- Slice and add the chorizo and chicken.
- Finely chop the onions and fry for 5 minutes, or until golden.
- Add the crushed garlic cloves, chopped tomatoes, and paprika to the onion and fry for another 2 minutes.
- Stir in the basmati rice; season well.
- Pour the coconut milk over the rice and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and leave the rice to cook uncovered, without stirring, for 10 minutes.
- Take the roasted peppers, drain and rinse them, and scatter over. Gently shake the pan; cook for 10 minutes.
- Put the baby spinach leaves into a colander and pour over freshly boiled water from a kettle to wilt, then add to the rice. Cover with foil and let rest for 5 minutes.
- Serve with a squeeze of lemon, garnish with cilantro and lemon wedges, and enjoy!
What are your favorite ingredients to add to Spanish paella?
About the Author:
Olivia Christine is a writer, Travel Blogger and Photographer consulting in social media + content marketing while exploring the world through bartering, volunteering, and adventure discovery. She spent a few months at Blue Osa as a blogging/marketing volunteer, food enthusiast, and private yoga instructor.