This is a beautiful, refreshing start to any meal. With just a few simple ingredients and a minimum preparation, papaya gazpacho can be whipped up in just minutes. Papaya was known as the fruit of angels; it is not only delicious but offers many health benefits. It contains the enzyme papain which helps digest proteins; it’s high in vitamins C and A which both offer anti-inflammatory and anti-oxidant effects.
Papaya also contains lycopene which can aid in preventing vision loss. This tropical fruit is a rich orange-pink color inside. It’s buttery soft and sweet. Choose papaya that is slightly soft, which has a reddish-orange skin. You can either peel it, then slice in half, discard seeds, and chop – or slice in half length-wise and scoop seeds and flesh.
From the Kitchen of Blue Osa
Gluten-Free, vegetarian & dairy-free.
- 1 large papaya
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1 sprig of each basil and mint, chopped fine
- salt and pepper to taste
- cilantro, finely chopped, for garnish (optional)
- Take the flesh of the fruit and chop loosely
- Combine all ingredients in a blender and pulse
- Do not over-blend; there should still be some texture. Chill for a bit, then garnish and serve.
Buen Provecho from Blue Osa Yoga Retreat + Spa