By Lianne Raymond, Photography Sarah Barnes
Seriously, who doesn’t love chocolate turtles?
It has been a guilty pleasure of mine since I was introduced to this sweet treat as a young girl. I remember devouring boxes during the holiday season.
Now there is a way to enjoy this amazing chocolate covered turtle goodness guilt-free. Check out Christal’s rendition of the popular treat. It’s delicious, and can even be part of a clean eating diet.
The best part: It’s super easy. I’m not one for over-complicated dessert recipes so trust me on this one.
All you need is 3 ingredients: Dates, pecans, and pure dark chocolate.
Super Easy, Gluten Free Chocolate Turtle Recipe
From the Kitchen Of Blue Osa
Gluten free, fat free, sugar free, carb free
Here’s exactly what you need
- 3½ oz dark chocolate (at least 70% cocoa, preferably unsweetened or with unrefined sweetener)
- 1 cup pitted dates
- 2 oz pecan halves or almonds (we chose sliced almonds)
- Process dates in a food processor until they become a sticky and very thick jam-like consistency.
- Roll the processed dates into 15 small balls, place on a lightly greased cookie sheet.
- Press 3 pecan halves into the date balls.
- Heat a small saucepan over low heat, add in dark chocolate and slowly melt into a sauce.
- Pour a small amount of sauce over each date/pecan ball.
- Place in the fridge to set for at least 10 minutes – the chocolate will harden and hold everything together.
About The Writer
Lianne Raymond is a digital media editor and yogini with a great curiosity about the world and passion for storytelling. Her love of yoga, coffee and sunshine led her to Costa Rica where she volunteered at Blue Osa Yoga Retreat & Spa.
About the Photographer
Sarah Barnes is a level 200 Registered Yoga Teacher, photographer, writer/blogger, communications professional and owner of Modern Warrior Yoga . She recently left her job as the lead spokesperson for Sherwin Alumina Company to explore the world and is currently volunteering at Blue Osa as a blogger, photographer and yoga instructor.
Creative Turtle Director