No matter what time of the year, we love to make fun and fruity jams. Whether to douse your breakfast or gift to a friend this holiday season, we know you’ll find plenty of uses for this mouth-watering jam recipe.
This star fruit jam is a fun and creative way to enjoy your daily fruit servings. If you don’t have access to starfruit, you can substitute pineapple.
What Is Star Fruit?
Starfruit, also known as carambola, is a sweet and sour exotic fruit in a star shape. It’s not only tasty but its health benefits make it one of the best tropical fruits on the market.
Why We Love Starfruit
- Starfruit is super low in calories. 100g provides just 31 calories and packs a powerful nutritional punch.
- It contains a dietary fiber that helps to protect the mucous membrane of the colon from exposure to toxic substances.
- Starfruit has a high Vitamin C content, which is an awesome, natural antioxidant and a high Vitamin B content which is needed for essential key functions within the body relating to stress management and metabolism.
- Starfruit contain key minerals and electrolytes like Potassium, Zinc and Iron which are important for healthy cell regeneration and stabilizing heart rate and blood pressure and counteracting negative affects of too much sodium.
- Star Fruit is known to help combat hangovers.
- It can help prevent during sickness or pregnancy. Eat a slice of the fruit every 3 hours.
And that’s just the start! To learn more about the delicious and healthy reasons to love Star Fruit, check out this article.
Homemade Star Fruit Jam Recipe
From the Kitchen of Blue Osa
Gluten free + vegan
- 8 1/2 cups of fresh star fruit (you can substitute pineapple)
- 3 cups of sugar
- 1/8 cup of vanilla
- Rind of one lemon or 1 Tablespoon of grated ginger (optional)
- 1 pinch of Cardamom (optional)
How To Prepare Star Fruit Jam
1. Thoroughly wash fruit
2. Cut the fruit: First, cut off the ends. Second, cut the peaks of each ridge on the fruit. Third, slice around the core. Fourth, cut off any remaining core. Last, slice into long pieces.
3. Add vanilla
4. Add Cardamom (optional)
5. Add lemon or grated ginger (optional)
6. Stir until all ingredients are incorporated
7. Cover and let rest overnight
8. Blend until smooth
9. In a large pot bring mix to a boil
10. Lower the temperature and simmer one hour (or until liquid is evaporated), stirring occasionally
11. Put in recycled jar(s) and seal tightly
12. Let star fruit jam rest for 4 days before opening and eating
Buen Provecho from Blue Osa Yoga Retreat + Spa!
Looking for more delicious Star Fruit Recipes? Because we have three star fruit trees on the Blue Osa Retreat property, we are always coming up with fresh and innovative recipes to use Mother Nature’s bountiful gifts. Here are a few of our favorite Star Fruit Recipes: